Well, knock my socks off and push me over with a feather, I’ve been nominated for a Liebster award.
Thanks Chelsey of whatchelseysays!
I feel I should be dressed in some sort of gown and be blowing kisses during my acceptance speech, but you’re just going to have to imagine that, as I’m actually in pyjamas and haven’t washed my hair today (no water! yuck!), more’s the pity!
So, according to the rules, I have to answer 10 questions, nominate 11 other bloggers and set them all another 10 questions (they then have to answer my 10 questions, select 11 other bloggers and ask them their own 10 questions)…and so on and so forth!…
Right, here goes with the answers to Chelsey’s questions:
1. Is there a certain quote that you live your life by?
I’ve had this quote tucked inside the flap of my purse since I was about 20 (goodness, 2 decades!): “You should do one thing every day that scares you” (Eleanor Roosevelt). It’s served me well (when I wasn’t living with it in it’s literal sense!). I hope “Speak your truth, even if your voice shakes” (anonymous) will define my next decade.
2. What are your top 5 places you’d like to visit?
Thailand (oh, the food! oh, the beaches!); India (the food! the colours!); Japan (those cherry trees and zen gardens and the teenage street fashions!); Tibet (I *will* spend some time at a Tibetan monastery); cycling tour of Italy (the food, the architecture and, yum, constant eye candy of the very handsome well-dressed male kind…! Case in point!)
3. Name one thing on your body you like
4. Do you have a 5-year plan?
– I don’t want to be living where I’m currently living in 5 years time
– I want to have set up my business (again!) and have taken it to the stage where I could leave a manager in place to run it, leaving me free to retire if I wished (I would want that, I’m sure, as I’d like to dedicate myself to writing minus all the administrative stuff I’m usually weighed down by)
– I want to have purchased my dream plot of land in my dream place and be building, by myself, a little house by the sea. It’d be quite tiny and mostly bare so there’d be no distractions from the healing sound of the waves. It’d be a simple, rich life.
5. If you weren’t blogging right now, is there anything you should be doing?
Hah! I should, technically, be replying to a million emails but – hey, I got an award ! And I’ve been at my desk since 7am (yep, you guessed it, I didn’t actually change out of my pyjamas today – despite all my high tootin’ falootin’ talk about Rihanna inspiring me to be my ‘most beautiful me’ every single day!)
6. You’re stuck in a room for one year with only one TV box set – which one?
Ooh, difficult, difficult…Sherlock? Downton? Something from David Attenborough?….difficult, but the Cumberbatch wins! It’d have to be Sherlock (all three series)…just the right amount of cool, just the right amount of Britishness and, well, Benedict…what more can I say??!! Gratuitous shirt-popping image, nabbed from here (you need an ‘eye candy’ break, ladies – this is already very long and you aren’t half way through yet!)…thank me profusely in the comments 😉 😉
7. If you could make one change in your life/the world, what would it be?
In my life, I wouldn’t be living where I am. I miss my Mum. I miss my brother. I want to see the Autumn leaves and the fog and feel rain on my face. I miss my friends. I miss baked beans on toast. And oak trees. And…and…and….Going to stop as I’m getting nostalgic and, my oh my, when I get nostalgic, it’s not pretty!
In the world? I’d have everyone meditate daily.
8. Imagine yourself as a character from TV/book/film, which would it be?
I’d be a mix of Joan Rivers (I need a bit of her brashness and balls), the Dowager Countess from Downton (she don’t take no s**t from no-one and her one-liners are the BEST!), Kristen Scott Thomas from the English Patient (so very English! so beautiful!) and Marion Cottilard’s character from Midnight in Paris (so dreamy!).
9. Who would you say is the biggest inspiration in your life?
My children. They’ve kept me going through the darkest months of my life. They are the reason I get out of bed every day when it would be just so tempting to say ‘fig it all, I can’t be bothered anymore’. My enthusiasm and energy are pretty boundless but it’s hard, you know, really really hard, this ‘stuck in a foreign country with no family and friends whilst my marriage breaks down all around me and I’m submitted to inhuman levels of abuse’. I often sit and wonder, listlessly, when I’ll be in a position to say ‘I’m glad that’s over’…in the meantime I grin and bear. I kick myself up the backside, tell myself to stop feeling sorry for myself, look at my two little ones and thank the heavens we’re still alive. Thankful that they always give me a healthy dose of perspective.
10. What’s your dream career or are you already doing it?
Complicated. I’ve never had a ‘proper job’, as I’ve always been self-employed. I pretty much had my dream career: writing and editing. Then a nasty man decided it would be clever, strategic, “whatever” to steal – and destroy – all my stuff…business papers, email accounts, online data, computers, everything basically. So…I’m having to start again, more or less from zero. I’m just picking up the pieces (I got my new laptop just five weeks ago!). So, yes, I was pretty much living my dream career and hope to do so again… I used the time I was without a computer to re-assess, to reflect and to think about how I wanted to move forward. I’m calling it my ‘forced sabbatical’. It was horrid, is horrid, but I’ve realised a lot of things and found some new callings, so that’s good. I’m ready – eager – for the new beginning that’s coming. That voice deep inside me, my intuition, tells me that somehow this all had to happen because I’m now on the path to living my purpose. I’m beginning to believe her as I see now too, very clearly.
So, enough about me already! [That was all too too long!]
Here are my nominees – 14 wonderful, wonderful ladies (couldn’t stick to 11):
1. Britney – your kindness and thoughtfulness just shines out of your writing! [I WILL be coming for a haircut, you know, and then we can do weird INFJ stuff together!]
2. Liane – my nook-carving NaNoWriMo partner!
3. Chelsea – your writing makes me envious! And your photos? Big time jealousy!
4. Lizelle – love, love, love very single one of your posts, lady! (I meant it about that satchel bag!)
5. ‘thingsmareloves’ – (How can I not know your real name?!) – such a generous, thoughtful, soul
6. Kim – funniest lady in Blog-tember Land, hands down xxx (How do you even know that they sell sunglasses with a moustache dangling from them??!! Let alone locate said sunglasses???!!!)
7. Olivia – really, really well written posts – she’s one to watch, oh yeah, and I’d bet a good chunk of my (albeit severely depleted) money that her PR agency will be a HUGE success!
8. Danielle – the sweetest soul with the cutest little girl!!
9. Charlotte – loveliest freckles, red hair and flower photos I ever did see! [Still haven’t been able to watch your videos – will find and download the damn plug-in on Saturday… :(]
10. Zoe – she’s going to be a writer and a bloody good one! [Do we get to see your SNL routine on vlog day?]
11. Reta Jayne – first person ever to comment on my blog, such a thorough, sincere and honest lady, love her blog!
12. Leah – such beautifully written posts.
14. Amber – she says it herself: she’s joyful. And it’s true. She is.
My questions for you lovely ladies:
1. What does a wonderful day look like for you?
2. Name five things you’re thankful for.
3. Tell me about the last time you felt really happy.
4. If you knew you couldn’t fail, what would you do?
5. If you knew you were going to die tomorrow, what would you be doing today?
6. When was the last time you astonished yourself?
7. When was the last time you took a bold action?
8. When was the last time you were brave?
9. Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
10. What’s your favourite memory?
1. Link back to the person who tagged you
2. Answer the ten questions above
3. Create ten questions of your own
4. Tag 11 other bloggers (all bloggers must have less than 200 followers)