Today’s Blogmas prompt is, “What’s on your wish list this year?”
This is a bit of a funny one for me. I’m stuck in a foreign country with no family here and no husband/partner, so if I don’t want the children to start asking questions that I don’t want to even think about on Christmas Day, I’m going to have to buy my own presents and wrap them myself and then place them under the Christmas tree myself. It still feels weird (I’ve been giving myself pep talks for a good few weeks now!) but I’m looking on the bright side! Family will have sent presents, I’m sure, so there will be a few surprises but it somehow doesn’t feel quite the same! [Can you tell I’m still getting my head around Single Mum-dom? I’ve promised myself that once I’ve got over the ‘Christmas present dilemma’, I will be well and truly invincible!!]
So, what’s on my Wish List a.k.a. Shopping List?
1. An iPhone 6 – the big version. Can’t afford it at the moment but my accountant says it can be listed as a business expense and my mind is shouting ‘Get the Damn Thing, Helen, You Deserve It’ and ‘You can’t keep trying to run a business without your smartphone which was indispensable‘ and, ‘Really Helen, really? Are you going to take out a Nokia 7210 in meetings with people who might potentially contract your business? GET WITH IT GIRL. They want to see you’re a success not that you’re having problems‘. So….bottom line? It’s justified and has been added to the definitive Shopping List [thanks, Mum, for the help. Love you xxx]
2. Earrings. I don’t have pierced ears….bear with me. I’ve been ‘umming and aaahing’ for years about getting my ears pierced. Some days I think it’d be cool, and I could look hyper-feminine with all the pretty pretty pretty earrings I see. Other days I chicken out again, thinking it’s a silly idea for a 40-year old woman. Then I look at Kendi Everyday or Not Dressed as Lamb and I think ‘You must get them pierced. It’ll make you feel better. It’ll be a physical manifestation of a new you’…so whilst I’m still deciding, I’m going to buy myself a symbolic pair of earrings. If I decide to pierce them, I’ll wear them (obviously). If I don’t, they’ll be there on standby, waiting for me until I’ve plucked up the courage to just go for it.
3. Chanel Coco Mademoiselle. I’m currently running on fumes from my previous bottle and I’ve realised I don’t like living without it. I feel naked without my perfume. I’m expecting the first payment from a new (and big) client on the 15th and my victory dance will include heading to the perfume shop and asking them for ‘The biggest bottle of Chanel Coco Mademoiselle you have, please’.
4. Books. I have an enormous list and I’m going to treat myself. It’s Christmas after all and I’ve had a hard year!
5. New pyjamas. Soft cotton pyjamas. I work from home. If I’m not going to get dressed some days, I’m determined I’m going in to 2015 in something other than ‘hole-y, ripped, stained 15-year old nighties’…! [And….maybe….just maybe (!)…the accountant might be able to wangle them as a business expense??!! Erm…no!]
6. Last but not least….chocolates…a whole box for me. Just me. I will savour every. single. one.
Can’t wait to see what all my Blogmas buddies are lusting after!