It’s Friday. It’s Kindness Counts Friday (Kim’s brilliant idea that I’m continuing whilst she’s on a blog break). Time to recount all the kind acts I’ve engaged in, received or witnessed, and time for me to ‘spread the kindness bug’ by sharing links/images about kindness that I’ve found on my travels around Internet Land. First, however, remember:
Kind acts I’ve engaged in/received:
– A blogging friend sent me a package in the mail which was so, so kind of her. It’s already being put to good use and is making me so much happier each and every day. Thank you (you know who you are!)
– A blogging friend sent me an image which really touched my heart: that she’d found it, thought of me and sent it across. It really made my day, made me so, so happy. Thank you!
– I spent the period between Christmas and New Year clearing stuff (and I thought we had very little stuff in our home – how wrong I was). I just got this incessant urge to make space (got quite desperate about it, actually). Anyway, to cut a long story short, the clearance resulted in many, many bags of things being given away. I finally got rid of the vast majority of my scrapbooking supplies (leaving only things I’ll actually use) and donated the bulk of it to a local organisation that offers art therapy. It felt good to do it and it feels so good to be living in a home with less stuff.
– We donated some food to the local food bank. It’s something we’re going to do regularly this year. I’ll just pop some ‘staple’ extras in our trolley when I do the food shopping. It is a financial commitment but one I can accommodate by making a few adjustments to our own shopping lists. I found myself becoming unable to shop for us without doing something for others who aren’t in as good a position as we are again (thankfully). I find myself – strangely perhaps? – giving thanks for the fact that we lived through weeks, last year, when I was short of money, because it’s made me so much more sensitive to other people’s situations and so much more aware of the need to help now I’m once again in a position to be able to help.
– This image which I found on Pinterest (I can’t find the original source, sorry). Many great ideas on how to spread a little kindness:
If we live in goodness, in kindness, those things come back to us, many-fold, to enrich us in ways we can’t imagine when we make the conscious decision to be kinder.
Enjoy your weekend!
[I’m toying with the idea of setting these posts up as a ‘Kindness Counts link-up’: is this something people would be interested in joining? It takes a little while to set up the link-up, and time is often a scarce resource around these parts, but if people are interested in linking up, I’ll definitely make the effort to set up the link-up properly. Let me know!]